Sunday 27 February 2011

When there is no noise inside the tin can...

I overslept today. I was supposed to be part of the Manchester IV, but I overslept today...

So I slowly rushed to the Tin Can when I woke up. Looking outside the window, the sun was spilled all over pavements that I was not going to chase. Talking the shortcut, I reached the bus station. The feeling that I had even before I had left the bed was stillness, and still it was. I saw the bus in the station from the moment I took a turn for Wilmslow Rd. Usually, I run for the bus. Today it was not the case. I would not run. As it turns out, the bus waited for me...

When I got inside the tin can, no noise. Everyone was inside their rooms, debating. And there I was, all alone, wandering the corridors of Uni Place. I walked around the first floor; no one was even in the rooms. I went to the third floor, where I decided not to interrupt any debates, and sat down in front of one of the doors listening to a debate about the internet in totalitarian regimes. I did not get much out of it, because the activity inside the room was not enough to disturb the nothingness around me. I got up, meandered for some more, and stopped in front of the large window facing Oxford Rd. The most silent that floor has ever been since I came to know it in September was at that particular moment. Outside, a guy was playing with a ball while crossing the street, only one bus, a couple holding hands, and the sun above Manchester, and the clouds circling the sun...

When the round had ended, the hustle and bustle of the usual tin can started again. It was too late for me I'm afraid. The whole day I was still, ignoring most people around me, sitting alone most of the time, without any fears of looking awkward. I watched some debates, and actively refused to judge or take any social roles. I was pretending to observe, when in fact all I was doing was in fact, rejoicing the lull instilled in me earlier. When the first day of the tournament ended, most people went for the Font Bar in Fallowfield. I followed...and sat in my non-caring awkwardness, only talking to the occasional passer-by and mostly lingering around Rugile, my Lithuanian friend, only talking when she talked and only replying when needed...

Somehow sitting alone in the corner, feels as comfortable as it is weird and lonely...So, today, I celebrated my socially weird moments and ignored all and any small talk.

...because the tin can felt good being quiet..

No comments:

Followers